Workshops and mentoring for experienced book editors
Learn from established book editors and receive individual feedback and peer support through workshops, forums and online course material. This course improves skills and expands opportunities for experienced editors already working in publishing.
The Editing Masterclass develops the skills of mid-career editors, focusing on the expertise needed to work on book-length manuscripts.
In this masterclass, established book editors mentor students through work on real book manuscripts. The course offers individual feedback, peer support and collaboration. It is delivered through workshops, online discussion groups, and course material especially developed in the context of the New Zealand book trade.
Students will finish this course with the skills to take their editing work to a new stage and realistic feedback on their strengths and weaknesses.
The Editing Masterclass covers the following topics:
- Appraising manuscripts in terms of the intended reader, the publisher’s requirements and the author’s intentions
- Assessing and working with structure, organisation and content
- Analysing voice and tone, working with literary skills and devices
- The types and levels of editorial intervention necessary for different genres, purposes and contexts
- Collaboration and negotiation, particularly for working with authors
The programme involves two intensive face-to-face workshops, supplemented by online course material and independent work on a book manuscript.
- Download our 2017 information and enrolment form (PDF, 83kb).
- Visit the Whitireia New Zealand website for course and study details and application forms.
- Read these testimonials from graduates of the Editing Masterclass.
- Have a look at our Publishing Courses FAQ page.
- See also our Publishing Careers FAQ page.