Recommended training course for publishing and the book trade
The year-long Graduate Diploma in Publishing (Applied) is based at the Wellington city campus. The course is set up as a publishing office where students produce a range of digital and print publications while they study. Students are mentored through the process of editing, laying out, converting and coding. They wrangle designers and deadlines, and they manage social media campaigns and develop marketing material. Publications are print books, ebooks, magazines and websites developed with industry partners.
While on the course, students take their new skills into the workplace on internships with publishers around New Zealand. And in the class, they hear from numerous guest speakers including publishers, editors, designers, sales reps, publicists, booksellers and authors.
This highly regarded programme is the only full training course for publishing in New Zealand and was developed and run in partnership with the industry. All of the course tutors are practitioners in the publishing industry.
The Graduate Diploma in Publishing (Applied) covers the following topics.
- Planning a publication, including manuscript assessment, market research, commissioning, contracts and costing
- Project management, scheduling, briefing, supervision of design and print, and quality control
- Production, from idea to printed or digital publication, including editing, typesetting with Adobe InDesign, introduction to digital publications, and production of ebooks
- Marketing and distribution of print and digital books, including publicity and promotion through print and online channels
- The history and future of the book trade
- Download our 2017 information and enrolment form (PDF, 77kb).
- Visit the Whitireia New Zealand website for course and study details and application forms.
- Read these testimonials from graduates of the Diploma in Publishing (Applied).
- Have a look at our Publishing Courses FAQ page.
- See also our Publishing Careers FAQ page.